Thank You, Ref (11-23-09)

When was the last time you told a referee, “Thank you”?

Think about it. Is there anyone less appreciated in education? When they do a good job, they are hardly noticed. When they make a mistake, everyone sees it and many aren’t shy about letting them know just how they screwed up. In fact, some of those very same “not-so-shy” folks give the ref an ear full even when no mistake has been made. It just goes with the territory.

I realize that referees are professionals. They are paid to do a job, and most do the best job they know how. They certainly don’t ask for any thanks. Most refs are happy to officiate the games without interference. Some refs leave the profession because of the interference. The best refs figure out how to stick it out, even in the midst of sometimes intense pressure.

On Thursday, I saw one of our junior high referees face a different sort of pressure, and face it with amazing bravery. When Dan Worcester reported for the start of the junior high boys’ game versus Phillipsburg, I could immediately see that something was not right. He was pale and looked like he didn’t feel well. He told me as much and joked that I might have to put on his black and white stripped referee jersey before the evening was finished. I replied that that wasn’t an option.

Once the first game began, Dan seemed like his old self. He hustled up and down the court, made good and fair calls. He was consistent and assertive. He and his partner Jeff Nip neither took over the game nor let it out of their control.

Back in the referee room during half times and between games, Dan again looked pale, out of breath, and visible weak. I kept asking him if he would make it, and he kept telling me that he wasn’t sure, that I should get ready to wear that jersey. Once, I entered the room to find him on the floor. I thought he had passed out, but was relieved to learn that he was just stretching.

Back in the game I could see no sign of illness. There was no uncertainty. There was no hesitation. He ran as hard as ever, always putting himself in the best position to see every play to make every call.

All in all, I’d consider Hill City v. Phillipsburg to be some of the best-officiated games I have ever seen. I heard no complaints from either side of the gym, and everyone seemed satisfied that the contest had been well managed.

Afterwards, Dan seemed a little better. I think he had been as worried as I was that he would not be able to finish, and I think he was as relieved as I was that it was over. I don’t know where he found the strength, but I was sure glad he found it somewhere.

If he hadn’t, if he had indeed been too ill to run up and down that court time after time, I really don’t know what would have happened. I’ve never been in that situation and I hope I never will be. We don’t have a back up ref of standby. I don’t know who I would have even asked. I guess now would be a good time to formulate a back up plan just in case a ref should go down.

But thanks to the quiet heroics of this dedicated official, we made it through one more set of games. So now, to Dan Worcester, I say, “Thank you.”

The next time you see a referee, I encourage you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment