Three Miracles (12-28-09)

I have often heard an old expression that bad things occur in sets of three. However, as I reflect over 2009 for my annual end-of-year column, I am reminded that not just bad things can occur in sets of three. Good things can come in threes as well.

I will always remember 2009 as the year of the three miracles. Okay, miracle might be too strong a word, but they were certainly modern medical miracles.

I am referring, of course, to the three successful outcomes (dare I say “cures”) for three people I knew in 2009 stricken with cancer. This year saw the negative flip to positive, the bad news turn to good, the despair turn to hope, the suffering turn to relief.

In 2008, I learned that my brother-in-law John was diagnosed with tonsil cancer. My sisters and I have always considered John to be more “brother” than “in law” and the news rocked us all. As with any news of cancer, our heads swam with a million questions, and while there was every reason to hope for a positive outcome, the intensive nature of the treatment he faced brought home the seriousness of the situation.

Around the same time that we learned about John, I received more bad news at work. One of my students, and one of my daughter’s classmates, was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma. This cancer occurs most often in adolescents, and again while there was a good chance at recovery, Dakota was in for a long and arduous journey. He stopped coming to school. He lost his hair. He and his family had to make countless trips to Nebraska for treatment.

During 2009, I saw our community rally in support of this young man. His class not only raised money, they were united by a common purpose and a common bond. These kids matured in front of my eyes to become one of the best classes I’ve ever had the honor to serve. Day after day, they communicated with Dakota through phone, email, text, and the video conferencing technology of Skype. Everyone joined in, and everyone stayed positive and hopeful. They carried a laptop from class to class so that Dakota could video-conference throughout the day, keeping as normal a schedule as possible under the circumstances.

The third and final stroke of bad news came as we learned that our beloved newspaper editor Jim Logback was diagnosed with cancer. Again, for the third time, eerily, the cancer was found in the throat area. Three cases of cancer, all at least partially in the neck and throat areas. Three people I knew and cared about having to undergo radiation and chemotherapy - all fighting for their lives.

I prayed. We all prayed. We were united in our prayers, our hopes, and our concern. Then, the miracles of 2009 began to come about. My brother John, after suffering through a horrible January, began on the road to recovery. By summer, he was proclaimed by the doctors to be “boring” and his scans showed no sign of cancer anywhere in his body. The treatment caused him to lose a considerable amount of weight, which he now considers to be a blessing. He has developed better eating and exercise habits and has never been healthier.

Dakota’s treatment was a lot longer and more intense, but after almost a year spent in treatment, Dakota is back in school, with new hair on his head and new hope in his heart. Before Christmas, I saw him at a junior high basketball game, where he proudly told me that he would get to play basketball again. His spirits seem good and his mischievous smile has returned.

Jim had to miss several weeks of work to receive treatment in Texas. For a man who seems so happy to put together the best small town paper in Kansas, I’m sure that part was the hardest of all. However, Diana Boyd and family stepped in and they quickly developed a first-hand appreciation of all the things our indefatigable editor does week after week.

As far as I’ve heard, Jim is over the worst of the treatment and is also on the road to recovery. He has been back at work for several months now, and seems busier than ever.

Every year has its memorable moments, and 2009 has many things about which I could write. But in my perspective, these three stories, these set-of-three-miracles, are what make 2009 rise above the rest. So Happy New Year everyone. May our many blessing continue in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment