Cards (08-23-10)

Every year, whenever a student gives me a card, whether for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, my birthday, or whatever, I stick it on the big bulletin board that can be seen from my open doorway. This way, I hope that students passing in the hall, or entering the outer office, can look into my room and see their card proudly displayed. I appreciate each and every one I get, so I put them all up. Most years, I have to resort to using part of the wall as well.


I finally got around to clearing my bulletin board today. It is something I meant to get to this summer. I like to start the year with plenty of empty space to use for the cards I am sure to receive throughout the year. Clearing the old cards is not a quick job, as I like to read over every card and note one more time. I save the best for my scrapbook, which as of yet consists of an empty book and a pile of cards from years past. One of these days, I’ll get the cards into the book.


Reading over last year’s cards brought back many memories, both sweet and bitter sweet. Last year brought quite the haul of cards as it marked both a trip to the hospital and my fortieth birthday. Both occasions that elicited massive correspondence.


I am glad I took the time to read them all again. I was amazed at the time and effort put into some of the cards. There were mazes and word searches, and even a couple of rudimentary crossword puzzles, all created to entertain me during my brief hospital stay. There were pictures, some of the card writer, some of their class, and a couple of my entire family, complete with the names of my children, so that I would know who I was looking at.


There were many depictions of team logos for the Jayhawks, the Royals, and the Chiefs. I now realize though, that there wasn’t a single image of my favorite team mascot – a RINGNECK! I suppose I need to do more to let me my students know that while I support the Hawks, Royals, and Chiefs, my heart is at home, rooting on our proud Ringnecks.


I also have apparently failed to communicate that I also support our Kansas State Wildcats. Yes, in a head to head match, I prefer the Jayhawks, but I always try to tell the kids that the best part about a KU v. K-State game is that a Kansas team always wins!


Overall, my favorite image to see is a heart. It is nice to know that I am missed when I am gone, and that I am loved on my birthday. I also enjoy reading the nice things kids say, and those simple messages remind me of what it means to be a good principal.


“That you for taking care of our school.” “Thank you for saying nice things to me.” “Thank you for keeping us safe” were common themes. One of my favorites from last year read, “Thank you for helping me solve my problems.” Another student wrote, “Thank you for showing me around and helping me when I came.” To all these thankful students, I heartily say, “YOU’RE WELCOME!”


Two messages made me laugh out loud. In jest, one student wrote, “Our school is not under control without you!” While this is categorically not true, I still appreciated the implication that I am needed. The second message is even funnier:


“You went from grade school to junior high, and then to high school. Then you got to KU college. Then you met your beautiful wife and then your three kids, and then you became a teacher. Then you moved to Hill City and became a principal to have another child. Look how fast your life went by…”


The classroom teacher, upon reading this, reminded the student that my life wasn’t over yet. The writer added, “And here’s to many more years.”


Yes, here’s to many more years, and to many more cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment