Quality Standards (08-15-11)

This week, the staff of USD 281 will be learning about new standards. We have for years been preparing students according to Kansas State Academic Standards, and now we begin a multi-year process of switching to a national set, optimistically labeled as “Common Core Standards.”
 
I say optimistically, because there is great debate about just what every child should know or be able to do.  Beyond the “three r’s,” (readin’, ritein’ and rithmatic!), it sometimes seems that there is more disagreement than agreement about the “core” of what should be taught when and to whom.  
 
All this talk of standards reminded me of a wall display I saw in Kansas City, at The Whole Foods Market.  Over their front entrance in glorious six-inch tall letters, were listed the Whole Foods Market Quality Standards.
 
There were six statements in all.  “We carefully evaluate each and every product we sell” and “We are committed to foods that are fresh, wholesome and safe to sell” as well as “We are passionate about great tasting food and the pleasure of sharing it with each other” and so forth.
 
I was impressed with the simplicity of it all.  Six easy to remember standards proudly displayed and (one would assume) readily implemented.
 
I am a big fan of keeping things simple, something I learned from my high school algebra teacher. “Remember kids,” he would say almost daily. “KISS.  Keep It Simple, Stupid!”
(He said this in an age BEFORE political correctness.  It is a mantra I will never forget.)
 
When I was a high school English teacher, I taught the state standards and did my best to prepare the students to succeed on the state reading and writing assessments. However, with the KISS philosophy ever on my mind, I operated by a far more simple set of standards.  I had two: 1. Improve my students’ ability to read and comprehend what they read; and 2. Improve my students’ ability to write and express themselves through writing.
 
I didn’t post those on the wall of my classroom in six-inch high letters, but I did recite them often.
 
All this got me to thinking about the quality standards we should set at the grade school.  I immediately thought of two:  HCGS will help all students will feel safe. HCGS will help all students will feel loved.
 
And then I thought a third: “HCGS will take all students from where they are at to as far as they can go.”
 
Later I came up with “Because we believe that all students CAN learn, HCGS will help all students TO learn.”
 
These four statements reflect only my personal beliefs and were what came immediately to mind. They are in no way official or complete. I marvel at how an entire grocery store chain could so concentrate their focus as to operate on just six simple standards.  The state has issued dozen (perhaps hundreds) of state standards, and the common core standards add even more.  
 
The Whole Foods Quality Standards would not be easily assessed with a multiple-choice-test. The very word, “Quality” is too open to interpretation. Rather, they evoke an emotional response that is best assessed through perception and feeling.
 
When we think of our schools, do we feel pride, or do we feel shame?  Do we feel that going to work is a noble cause or a pointless burden?
 
I know I feel proud to be part of Hill City Grade School, and I think that our teachers feel proud in how they do their jobs.  Mostly, I think that the parents are proud of our school and that there is a common purpose that connects us all. We know what is important and it is not simply preparing students for taking tests.  As we are inundated in yet another standards movement, it will more important than ever to remember our local quality standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment