School Supplies (08-22-11)

Last Wednesday, HCGS kicked off the school year with our annual “open house,” an hour or so where parents bring their kids to check out the school and drop off school supplies. It is, truly, one of the greatest days in our year.  Few moments match open house in terms of pure excitement, expectation, and joy.
 
When I talk to others about open house, I invariably invoke the same nostalgia for school supplies. “I loved  the new crayons,” I’ve heard said.  “All the same height and none of them broken.”
 
“I used to love starting a new notebook.”
 
“I can still smell the Elmer’s glue.”
 
“I remember my first Big Chief pad of lined paper!  Do they still make Big Chief?”
 
And on and on. I know my own children thoroughly enjoy the purchase of school supplies, filling their new backpacks, and then bringing it all to school during open house.  It is a bit like Christmas in reverse.  Instead of waiting to get something, they can’t wait to take something – their school supplies to school.  Oh, and seeing their new rooms and meeting their new teachers is pretty exciting as well.
 
For me, open house reminds me about why I love my job.  After another summer enduring a hot, empty building, the halls explode with talking and laughter. All the summer work of the custodians is admired and appreciated as the throngs jostle past each other to see this room’s new paint job or that room’s new carpet..  The building is ready to go and most everything is shiny and new.  What a feeling! What a moment to remember!
 
This year, though, I was reminded of a supply that is not on any list and cannot be found in any store.  And it is a supply that the students don’t bring with them, but is something we at the school have to give in great abundance in order for the students to even have a chance to learn.  I’m talking about love.
 
Along with the paper and pencils, Kleenex and Clorox, students can bring to school worry, stress, grief, and loss.  Truth is, we don’t know half of what the kids bring to school in terms of disappointment and tragedy.  They tend to smile and show excitement, though we know that things are rarely perfect in anyone’s life.
 
I was reminded of this fact on Friday, when we flew our flags at half-staff in honor of helicopter pilot Byran Nichols, age 31, formerly of Hays, who was recently killed in Afghanistan.  In preparation for this article, I did some Internet research, and was surprised to discover that his parents are from Palco and that he was buried in Pleasantview Cemetary, just down the road on Highway 18.  I knew that his heroic death hit close to home, I just had no idea how close.
 
I was also able to learn that his family included a ten year old son, Braydon.  I wasn’t able to learn if he had other children. Still, my thoughts kept going out to this boy and what he must be bringing to school this year along with his new school supplies.
 
In the face of pain and loss, all a school can offer is love and support.  Yes, teaching and learning are the prime activities, but love and caring must be the prime concerns.  Sometimes we know of the pain a student brings to school and sometimes we don’t.  Either way, it is the responsibility of the school to love all children and to help give them the tools to overcome even the worst pain when it may occur.
 
The good news is that love is not is short supply.  The account of the Nichols funeral was filled with the love and prayers of thousands who turned out from all over the state to pay tribute to this fallen soldier. He paid the ultimate price, and in return, he is accorded the ultimate honor.  We are all a little safer, a little more free because of his sacrifice.  And Braydon and the rest of his family are a little more loved.  
 
Love is truly the greatest and most abundant of the school supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment