Bang! (07-09-07)

When I was a kid, my family did not shoot off fireworks. My parents forbade them for two reasons. First, living in Kansas City it was against the law to discharge them in the city limits. Second, my parents thought they were dangerous. My mother’s father was a doctor, and my dad’s dad ran a newspaper and both had seen their share of fireworks accidents, most minor and some tragic.

So my parents were well schooled in the dangers of fireworks and every Fourth of July my sisters and I were subjected to stories and burnt limbs and lost fingers.

Personally, the stories did little to frighten me but only heightened my curiosity and desire to light a fuse and watch something blow up. So imagine my utter delight to find myself living in a veritable paradise of gunpowder glory here in Hill City Kansas. The lighting of most fireworks is legal and allowed for many days before and one day after the fourth. Add to that the generosity of the patrons of the several fireworks stands around town, and you have the makings of one big Bang!

Or thousands of bangs, booms, whistles, and crackles, going seemingly non-stop day and night for a better part of a week. This week I have been in pyrotechnics heaven. Not only did my family spend an enjoyable evening on the fourth burning sparklers and snakes and an assortment of kid friendly fireworks, but we were able to watch other more expensive and expansive light shows all around the neighborhood every night leading up to the big day. What bang-crazy bliss!

Of course, the best part was the Chamber of Commerce fireworks show. We were all set to head over to the stadium when we noticed people setting up chairs in the park across the street, and lo and behold we discovered that we live in a perfect place to view the big show. And it was indeed awesome. While I have seen many great fireworks displays, I would rank our little Hill City barrage with the best. It was artistically arranged, as beautiful as it was thrilling, and I was astounded at the number of shells that our fire department sent into the air, practically above our house.

Afterwards, the locals really let loose and the skies all around our house were filled with smaller but none-the-less impressive ordinance. For a brief period of time, our neighborhood resembled a war zone.

This reminded me of the sobering fact that we as a country are still at war. Recently, I saw an interview with NBC anchor Brian Williams upon his return from a trip to Iraq. He described Baghdad as being constantly filled with the sounds of small arms fire, the whistling of mortars, and a general cacophony of explosions.

Remembering that interview and comparing Hill City to Iraq caused me to feel incredibly grateful. Grateful for the fine men and women who fight to protect our country. Grateful to live in a country where the primary use of gun powder is for recreation. Grateful for parents who try to protect their children from harm. Grateful to live in a town that trusts its citizens to play responsibly with fire.

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holiday week. The next time we light a fuse, let the resulting bang remind us of the cost paid to gain our independence and the glorious wonder of being free.

No comments:

Post a Comment