What I Learned (05-21-07)

It is difficult to believe that an entire school year has come and gone, especially considering how momentous the year was for me and my family. I would imagine that when any person enters school administration, they go into the work with a certain amount of trepidation. I know that personally, I needed to get my first year under my belt before I could really say for certain that being a high school principal was the job for me.

Well, my first year has come to a conclusion, and I am still standing. Boy, what a ride!

To say that I am happy with my job would be an understatement. Ecstatic is more like it. Thrilled. Delighted. Satisfied. Can’t wait to do it again.

In fact, as the last day of school was drawing to a close, I found a little time to sit at my desk and to make plans for next year. I have done this from time to time in order to record my thoughts when they are fresh, and to get a step ahead on the year to come.

If I have learned one thing from this first year is that everything happens pretty quick. There isn’t much time to deal with one issue before another takes it place. And there is always something. Life is never dull at HCHS.

I wouldn’t want it any other way. Please understand that I am indeed thrilled with this year. From enrollment to checkout, I have had the honor to support and be supported by an incredible staff. They deserve all credit for another successful year. And I am certain that together, we can make the next year even better.

The reason I am so looking forward to next year is not because I have any regrets, but because I see such potential. I see the potential to reach more kids more of the time. I see the potential to build on our successes to make the next year our best yet.

But more than anything, I see the potential within myself to be a more effective leader and to be a better principal. I am just eager to demonstrate in my second attempt all that I learned from my first.

So what did I learn? I learned to trust my staff and to delegate responsibility. I learned each student’s name and something about their each of their lives. I learned to remain positive in the face of conflict, and I learned what it means to be caring, but also what it takes to be consistent and fair.

I learned what it is like to sign my name several thousand times I began by signing Bill Goodwin, then I switched to my legal name, William J. Goodwin, and then began signing some things W.J. Goodwin. Of course I have also learned the hand-saving initialing, WJG!

I have learned how to talk with parents in hospital waiting rooms and how to talk to kids waiting outside my office. I have learned how to schedule finals and how to run faculty meetings. I have learned all about our facilities and I now know what each of my two dozen keys opens. (In fact, on the last day of school, I learned that I have a key to the padlock for the concession stand window. Go figure!)

I have learned when to be patient, and when to be impulsive. I have learned that when in doubt, ask for many different opinions and when still in doubt, to follow your gut.

I have learned that I am blessed to work for a great superintendent and school board. They have supported me and given me the tools I needed to get the job accomplished.

I have learned about dedication by watching our teachers and coaches and the endless hours they give to our kids. And I have learned about support from watching our parent organization, such as the Ringneck Backers and the After-Prom and Project-Graduation crews. From them I have learned that staying up all night with your kid doesn’t end after the child has started to sleep through the night.

Finally, I have learned about love from my beautiful wife and my own incredible children. This year has presented them with many changes, and they have adapted and thrived in our new town, new school, new job, and now with our new child.

I know I should stop and breathe and enjoy the moment. I just can’t. I have learned so much that I am itching to learn more and do more and be more. However, I now have the summer to plan, plan, and plan. When the August finally does roll around, I will be ready. Go Ringnecks!

No comments:

Post a Comment