Graham Crackers Lite (12-08-08)

This week, no single event presented itself as a suitable topic for this space. So I decided instead to write about three. This is my miniature version of our beloved Hill City Times “Graham Crackers.”

The first event occurred at the Hill City Shootout, our 8th grade basketball tournament, which we hosted on Saturday. As I was walking out a gym, a man approached me needing to talk. I immediately assumed that it was a parent or a patron and that the man had a complaint. In my line of work, you come to expect complaints with almost every conversation. However, the man stuck out his hand, smiled, and said that he just wanted to tell me “thank you.”

Apparently, he was quite satisfied with the way our school dealt with a disciplinary action taken several months back. He had been meaning to talk to me since, and he finally found a good opportunity to express his gratitude.

Now I am a very lucky administrator in that I get thanked all the time. A quick “thank you” is one of the best ways I know that I am doing a good job. The only difference with this particular thank you was that it came so long after the incident had been resolved. The fact that the parent had remembered and made a point to thank me after such a long time profoundly touched me. In the midst of the stress and tedium of running a basketball tournament, his simple act lifted my spirits and made me remember that I know not how much of an impact my actions will have at any one time. I am lucky to be in a position to make decisions that sometimes linger and resonate positively for a long time.

*****

In addition to the Shoot Out, this week, I traveled to Norton to watch both the boys and girls teams play. During all the basketball, I could help but compare to much of the activity on the court to professional wrestling.

At the Norton match, I had a chance to talk with one of the refs after the games. He explained, “If we had called every foul, we could have fouled out every player on both teams.”

I agreed with his assessment in all the games I watched this week. These kids play hard, and anyone who thinks that basketball is not a contact sport need only watch a junior high game to change their mind. I saw many kids colliding and collapsing, and the call of “Jump Ball!” seemed to be called on every possession.

Most of the games I saw were low scoring defensive affairs. When the shots didn’t fall, the resulting rebounds were filled with extremely physical jostling and grabbing for the ball. I just held my breath and prayed no one would get hurt. Except for a few bruises, everyone left the court in one piece, and I left the court admiring the determination of our young athletes to put their bodies on the line in the pursuit of victory.

*****
Finally, I heard something at church that I hope I never will forget. This Sunday our little congregation was graced by the presence of our area bishop, and I learned why he had risen to such heights as soon as I heard him speak.

Eloquently, he told us a story about how during his first year as a pastor in a small Texas town, he found himself in the middle of a mini-feud concerning the placement of a coffee pot. Apparently, they were remodeling, and one group wanted to leave the coffee pot where it had always been, right outside the sanctuary, while a group who used the sanctuary for bible study before Sunday services wanted it placed far away so they could study without the background noise of people visiting while drinking the brew.

He said that the two factions argued for forty-five minutes, until he finally lost his temper.

Slamming his hand down on the table, he announced to his parishioners, “God does care where we place the coffee pot! He does, however, care very, very much how we treat one another.”

Now I have been fortunate in my brief tenure as an administrator in that I don’t recall any “coffee pot” arguments as of yet among the teachers. However, I have presided over many a trivial argument among two or more students. The next time I have kids in my office arguing over some small matter, I plan to use the bishop’s line. God doesn’t care who is right, but He does care very, very much how we treat one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment