Substitute Teaching (10-01-07)

When I was in college, I remember reading a great book called, Nine-Hundred Shows a Year. It is the kind of feel-good yet this-is-reality-hitting-you-in-the-face type of book that professors like to assign to naïve undergrads, to inspire them yet also open their eyes to the difficulties of education.

I, of course, was more inspired than discouraged. The title refers to the number of “shows” a teacher puts on every year. After subtracting sick days, field trips, school assemblies and the other assorted interruptions, the author of the book figured that a teacher is up in front of a class on average 6 times a day for 150 days, or 900 shows.

I suppose the performer in me is what led me to teaching. As a young adult looking for a career, the prospect of getting to perform nine-hundred times a year seemed a very desirable thing indeed. Through twelve years in the classroom, I was rarely disappointed. I have always enjoyed being in front of students, asking questions, and leading discussions. I had almost forgotten just how exhilarating teaching can be.

The good feelings have returned to me this year as I have filled in for various teachers. Thus far, I have been a substitute teacher for fifth grade social studies, sixth grade science, eighth grade math, and seventh grade geography and art. I have also spent a little time in fourth grade music, and I have even spent an hour as a kindergarten teacher.

All in all, these brief returns to the classroom have been incredible fun. For example, when I became a science teacher, we watched a video on the states of matter, and afterwards I fielded questions. I found the quality and quantity of questions to be staggering, but I thoroughly enjoyed trying to satisfy inquisitive minds. The discussion began with “Can everything catch fire?” to “Why does it rain?” to “Why do astronauts weigh so much less on the moon?” We talked about everything from air pressure to gravity and I was sorry when the bell signaled the end of the hour.

In kindergarten this week, I helped students form the letter “N” and learned from them the difference between “pulling down” and going “up and around.” Then I helped them with their writing journals, and heard a fascinating story from one young writer about how his dog was bitten by a snake and how the snake was bitten by his dog. The dog lived and the snaked died…I think.

In art class, I helped students form clay tiles for their sculpting projects. Never one to stand on the sidelines, I jumped in and was rolling out the clay along side the students, who then taught me joining and smoothing techniques.

I was reminded of just how much I enjoy teaching. It doesn’t even matter what the subject matter is…nouns or absolute value, the homesteader act or “Hot Cross Buns”, teaching is an amazing act of self-expression and self-fulfillment.

I have begun to compare being a school administrator to being the director of a play. My star players are now my teachers, and the plotlines follow the scope and sequence of the curriculum they teach. Like a director, an administrator must successfully cast the various roles, set an inviting and functional stage, place the players in the best possible light, and provide them with all the things they need for a successful performance. Costumes, props, and music are now teaching supplies, books, and technology.

I have always enjoyed directing plays, which explains my love for school administration. In fact, if I had to choose, I would pick directing over acting. But that doesn’t mean I still don’t enjoy acting, and, as I have recently had the opportunity to discover, I still get a lot of personal satisfaction from being a classroom teacher.

Even if only for a little while. Even if only as a substitute teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment