From What I Understand (02-25-08)

Next Tuesday, March the 4th, the voters who reside within the boundaries of USD 281, Graham County Schools, will be asked to consider two questions that could impact the our district and our community for years to come. Should USD 281 be allowed to issue bonds to finance the renovation and expansion of district facilities? Should USD 281 be allowed to issue bonds to construct a double court competition gym with commons area, restrooms and locker rooms? Only two questions, but many things to consider.

I want to share my perspective about why I plan to vote yes for both questions.

From what I understand, 1958 was the last time the district voters were asked to consider a bond issue. While there have been many small improvement projects through the years, from what I understand, this would be the first attempted major renovation of our schools in fifty years.

From what I understand, our high school boiler is fifty years old and growing less efficient with each passing year. From what I understand, its days as a safe and productive heat source are numbered.

From what I understand, using a boiler, steam heat, and window unit air conditioning is the most inefficient and costly way to heat and cool a building.

From what I understand, as our enrollment decreases, and thus our funding, our district needs to find ways to get more for less. This could mean cutting our energy bills or cutting our staff. From what I understand, the board of education is more interested in cutting our energy bills.

From what I understand, after considering all the options, the board of education decided to pursue the installation of geothermal heating and cooling because it would be the most efficient and would require the least amount of maintenance. From what I understand, this expensive solution made the most sense for the longest period of time.

From what I understand, as we get smaller and have fewer dollars to spend, the district is looking for ways to cut costs. They see no reason to operate three buildings when, with some renovation, we could fit everyone into two. From what I understand, over the next few years, Longfellow will be phased out as a place to teach students. From what I understand, this will happen regardless of outcome of the bond election.

From what I understand, the drains from the grade school roof have collapsed underneath the hard surface playground. Now rain-water flows freely over the already cracked asphalt surface and in the winter the water turns to ice, further damaging the asphalt. I have witnessed kids tripping over the cracks on a daily basis. I have seen firsthand what a corroded asphalt surface does to clothing and to skin.

From what I understand, our junior high and high school wrestlers share a practice space with the district vehicles, and sometimes are subjected to exhaust fumes as they struggle to practice in a space inadequate for their needs.

From what I understand, our track cannot be repaved and from what I understand the asphalt base underneath the track is almost completely gone. From what I understand, we have two long-term options for our track: replace it or lose it. I understand that our board would like to see this community and educational resource replaced.

From what I understand, we currently share eleven different teachers between our grade school, high school, and junior high. Daily, I watch the junior high students walk, in all weathers, between buildings and have daily seen the eighth grade load and unload from buses to the high school. Furthermore, I have witnessed teachers scrambling from cars to classrooms where they only teach one or two hours a day. Often I have listened to frustrated students and staff as they struggle to communicate with each other from separate buildings.

From what I understand, since our high school was built, our town has added girl’s volleyball, girls’ basketball, and recreational volleyball and basketball teams. From what I understand, these teams are in a constant struggle for gym space, with our youngest athletes having to wait until late in the evening for court space.

I understand all this and more. I understand that as a parent of four small children, I need to do whatever I can to provide them the best educational environment possible. I understand that these improvements will raise my taxes for twenty years. I understand that the amount of tax will be based on the health of our district valuation, but I refuse to live in fear of what-if scenarios and dooms-day predictions. From what I understand, our district needs to make these necessary improvements, and from what I understand, now is the best time to act.

And I believe that the plan put together by the facilities committee and the board of education represents the best hope to keep our school and our community moving forward. This is my personal belief and it based all that I understand.

Now, I hope you understand why the passage of this bond issue is so important to me. I invite you to join me in voting yes on March 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment