My Homecoming (09-03-07)

One of the things that I will miss the most about being a high school principal is homecoming. I will miss all the excitement and enthusiasm, the wonderful school spirit, not to mention the pomp that accompanies this autumnal celebration.

The best part of homecoming is getting to see so many of the students you had in your school during previous years. In that regard, I had my homecoming this last Friday night, at the Quinter football game. Not only did I see a good many of last year’s seniors who came back to town for the game, but I got to see many of the other students who are now a year older and a year closer to graduation.

Whenever a teacher, or anyone who works in education, decides to make a change, the first thing you think of is the kids. While a change may often be positive, there is no getting around to the fact that, as an educator, you will be leaving your current students to the care of your replacement. We all work so hard in education to build positive relationships, that when a move comes along, it is the severing of those relationships that hurts the most.

This point came home to me Friday night. Everywhere I turned, there were high school students whose names and backgrounds I had worked so hard to learn. After over three months apart, my mind needed a second or two to remember, and I spent much of the evening going, “Hello…hello…good to see you again…uh…” and then the name would come to me.

More often than not, though, more than the name would pop into my head. I would also remember details about the student’s family, their grades, and their participation in school activities, even their hobbies. Add to that the fact that I am now the principal of some younger brothers and sisters, and I was usually flooded with information.

I was also touched with a little sadness. You see, while many seem to assume that I made the switch to get away from the high school, that somehow dealing with younger students would be an easier assignment, the relative difficulty of older versus younger had nothing at all to do with my decision. I offered to take the K-8 job for other reasons, primarily that I didn’t feel I should pass up the opportunity to work with my own children each and every day.

In no way did the behavior of high school students have anything to do with my decision to leave. In fact, they offered best reason for me to stay.

It boils down to the fact that I miss my old students. I enjoyed being their principal. I found the students of HCHS to be decent and upstanding young adults. I was proud to be their principal and I will always have the fond remembrances of our time together.

I suppose this is why high schools have homecomings. We miss our graduates and so we give them a reason to come home and spend some time with us, even if just for a little while.

Of course, I am luckier than most educators who make a switch. I get to stay in town, and there are still a lot of games and tournaments and activities where I will be able to touch base with many of my former students. While most high schools have just one or two homecomings, I get to have my homecoming each and every time I run into a former student, and I look forward to hearing and reading about all the wonderful things they have yet to accomplish. Go Ringnecks!

No comments:

Post a Comment