A Busy Winter (01-26-09)

I used to think that the months of January and February were relatively quiet, at least for most of our Junior High students. Junior High basketball ends with the MCEL tournament during the second weekend of January. Then junior high wrestling begins, and I thought that most girls, and the boys who chose not to wrestle, were left with little to do until the start of track.

So I thought that there would be a void to fill, especially for the girls. My wife came up the idea of teaching an acting class. She decided that in addition to teaching acting, she could organize a “talent night” for performances by any acting student who wished to perform what they had learned.

I had been “playing” (excuse the pun!) with the idea of directing a junior high one-act play, and when I heard of my wife’s plan, it made perfect sense to combine the two.

Of course, we didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes, so I proceeded to go from teacher to teacher to see what other activities were already in place.

I realized that I had misjudged the number of activities available to junior high students during the wrestling season. In fact, I was surprised by just how busy so many of our seventh and eighth grade students are during the winter months.

First, of course, there is wrestling. We have nine boys and one girl on this year’s squad, and these courageous youth have committed to three weekend and four Thursday evening tournaments, as well as practices every afternoon.

Next, I visited with the cheerleading sponsor, to learn that during this supposedly “quiet” period, they now have practices every afternoon. I realized that the seven girls who cheer are just as involved in athletics as the wrestlers.

I talked with Mrs. Potter next to learn that, in preparation for League Music, February 25, many of the students have chosen to come to after school practices to prepare solos, duets, and small ensemble selections to be judged at the music festival. None of the students are being forced to stay after school because their choice to be in band, or their requirement to be in vocal music, does not include any after-school practices. However, Mrs. Potter has for years given selflessly of her time to make herself available for these kids to practice. I remember last year’s League Music, and how proud I was of our students’ exceptional performances. I now realize that their hard work begins with Mrs. Potter’s sacrifice and ends with the kids volunteering to show off their musical abilities.

But the busy winter doesn’t end there. I learned that Mrs. Nighswonger is preparing around thirty junior high students for Science Olympiad, February 10. These students are expected to prepare and study at home as well as can attend after school practices on Wednesday afternoons. So not only does Mrs. Nighswonger give of her time to coach high school basketball, she also makes herself available so that junior high science students can compete. Depending on how much success they experience, they could also qualify for the State Science Olympiad Tournament, the only state tournament available for junior high students.

Finally, there is Junior High Scholars’ Bowl. New coach Colleen Couey has already started practices, even though most of the tournaments take place beginning in March. Coach Couey’s irresistible enthusiasm has drawn over twenty-five students, who are willing to attend early before school practices.

So between scholars’ bowl, wrestling, cheer leading, preparation for League Music and Science Olympiad, our kids are just as busy during the winter as they are any other time of the year. And now, my wife and I are working with the Graham County Recreation Commission to put on a “Drama Fest”, Friday, March 13 at the Frontier Stage. The fest will feature acting performances by those in my wife’s acting class who wish to perform, as well as a one-act play, directed by yours truly.

We were expecting to have many kids sign up, and the students certainly were enthusiastic when we met with them to explain our idea. However, as of last Friday, there were only ten students signed up. More students can still turn in their permission slips, but I don’t anticipate many more.

Two weeks ago, I would have thought we would have a bigger turn-out. “What else do these kids have to do during the winter?” I would have said.

Now, though, I realize that our Junior High students have a very busy winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment