A Building To Remember (07-02-07)

This week was a week of discovery. I discovered the function of two new sets of keys, I discovered the way I wanted to arrange two new offices, and, most importantly, I discovered Memorial High School.

Or, should I say Longfellow Middle School, as it is currently known. This incredible structure is one of Hill City’s most historic old buildings, and now I get the privilege of working within its hallowed sandstone walls.

I had been in the building a few times before, but this week I was able to wander unguided and uninterrupted, as I tried different locks, peered into closets and crawl spaces, and generally got to know what will be half of my new work place.

Now, I think both the high school and elementary school buildings are excellent facilities. While each could use some renovation, they still provide an admirable learning environment.

But Memorial High School is more than just another school building. It is a slice of living history, and I can not describe the sense of wonder and discovery I felt walking the halls.

First, it proudly bears the architectural stamp of 1922. With carved cornices and elaborate moldings, with arched windows and high ceilings, the building is nothing like anything that has been built in the last 60 years. In fact, I would imagine that it is one of the few four story buildings for hundreds of miles – not counting grain elevators and water towers.

And yes, I did mean to write “four story,” because in a stroke of design genius, the builders chose to put the gym a full story underground, so that the gym and the auditorium sitting on top of the gym are each a full two stories in height.

I remember my amazement when I walked through the building for the first time that there was room for such a gym in what otherwise seemed like a small building. I walked down a steep set of stairs and lo and behold there was this huge space with a remarkably high ceiling.

And then I was even more astounded to discover where the old auditorium existed. Now the stage has been walled in to create storage and office space, and the lower seating has been covered by a suspended ceiling to serve as our music room. But, to my continued surprise, one story up I discovered a full balcony that now looks on to the top of the ceiling of the new room.

The balcony was my favorite discovery. It is a magical place that instantly transports you back into another time and era of schools. It is currently filled with old broken furniture and a veritable museum collection of discarded school things, but some of the old wooden seats remain. When you walk to the very top of the balcony, the effect is stunning as you look down onto where the stage used to be. Like the height of the gym ceiling, the height on the upper seats seems impossibly high and far away from the stage would have been below. I would have loved to have sat in those seats to listen to a commencement address or watch a show.

My point is that we should be grateful for our little bit of history. Along the hallway next to the office doors is displayed a series of artifacts, including the newspaper article describing the dedication of the building, complete with the actual speech given that day. As I read the dedication address, I felt the tingle of discovery. People don’t talk like that anymore. People don’t write like that anymore. And no one builds schools like our dear Memorial High.

The next time you have an opportunity to step inside this old building, give thanks that Memorial High is still with us, living on as Longfellow Middle School. Also, we should be proud of the memories and the stories that it has to tell. It was constructed as a memorial to honor the lives of those from Hill City who gave their lives in war. Now it serves as a memorial to the history our wonderful town.

Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment