Merry Christmas, Inlaws! (12-17-07)

Last Christmas, I had one of my better ideas. I decided to get my mother a subscription to our wonderful hometown paper, and to write her a Principal Perspective. After years of uninspiring Christmas gifts, I finally found a gift that my mom really appreciated.

Now, I am going to try to repeat the trick, but this time for my other set of parents, Rick and Bonna Wheeler of Quinter, Kansas. I don’t know if they will appreciate knowing the news in Hill City as much as my mother does all the way in Kansas City, but I am hoping they like this gift all the same.

I just want to devote a little space to publicly thanking both of them for the way they have welcomed me into their family. Over the years, I have been continually blown away with their generosity and their warmth. I felt completely comfortable with them from the first time we met, and I am very thankful that I have found my way into their family.

I first met Bonna when she was painting the backdrop for the Prairie Community Theater production of The Sound of Music. I remember watching her work and being absolutely amazed at how she was able to turn ordinary white stage flats into a three dimensional panorama of the Swiss Alps.

Since then, I have been lucky enough to behold many of her masterpieces, from Christmas motifs on downtown windows, to signs and backdrops for school and church productions, to the life-size Pokeman Card Halloween costume she made for our son.

When we lived near Hutchinson, I encouraged her to enter something in the Kansas State fair, and if she ever does I think she might just win some much needed recognition.

But more than her artistic ability, Bonna has been a model mother-in-law. She cooks fantastic family dinners, selflessly baby-sits, and does just about anything we ask. I can’t remember the last time she told us no, if indeed she ever has.

Along with Bonna, Rick has been a faithful father-in-law. He has taught and helped me through many a home remodeling project, taught my kids and me how to fish, and has sweated shoulder to shoulder with me in all of our moves.

The best thing Rick has taught me is how to not only dream of big projects, but how to follow through until the work is done. Since I have known him, he and Bonna have built new decks in both the front and back yards, completely remodeled the upstairs of their home, and Rick is now remodeling the basement. His carpentry is as impressive as Bonna’s art work, and the gold fish pond they built and improved through the years is a great combination of both their talents. It is truly one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I know…and it is so readily available in their back yard!

When the principal position came open at Hill City, my wife and I were thrilled with the prospect of living closer to Rick and Bonna. Since we have returned to Western Kansas, they have been up to see us many times, and have even taken our kids fishing a time or two.

I know that I am very fortunate to have such a good relationship with my in-laws. Not everyone is so lucky. Thank you Rick and Bonna for always being there for me and for our family. Thank you for all the gifts, all the trips, all the family get-togethers, all the meals, all the Thanksgivings and Christmases, and for all the love along the way.

On behalf of my wife and children, we hope you enjoy your subscription to the paper. Merry Christmas, Granma and Granpa. We look forward to many wonderful years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment