Future Fantastic For Future Farmers (04-30-07)

In a year filled with firsts, I had the privilege to attend my first FFA Chapter Banquet on Saturday. Like many of the first experiences I have had this year, this will be one that I will long remember.

I knew that Hill City had an exceptional chapter. In fact, when I came to interview, Dr. Call made it a point to begin my tour at the FFA building. He wanted me to realize that Hill City had one of the strongest chapters in the state and one of the best chapters in the country.

It did not take me long to see for myself the amazing dedication of both the students and the sponsor to this organization. Mr. Lyder had these students attending meetings and competitions around the state and he even took them all the way to Indianapolis for the National Convention.

On Saturday night, we were treated to a slide show that followed the year. It was an impressive display of activity and accomplishment. The students traveled extensively and seemed to take honors everywhere they went.

After the slide show, it was time for the awards and scholarships. Again, we were treated to a wonderful display of noteworthy achievement.

After the banquet, I discovered that our FFA chapter has fifty-seven students, or almost half of the entire student body. We were also informed that for the first time in recent memory, our chapter had scored gold in all three core areas. In the past, the Hill City chapter had been rated as gold in one or two of the areas, but this was the first time that we scored gold in all three. Needless to say, it has been quite a year for the Hill City Future Farmers of America.

What impressed me the most, however, wasn’t the accolades or adventures, and it wasn’t even the awards, too numerous to mention here. No, what impressed me the most was the quality of the FFA membership.

In an earlier column, I referred to something called “soft skills,” things such as honesty, integrity, and the ability to get along with others. Well, during the banquet, it occurred to me why so many of our beloved high school students are so gifted with these soft skills. While much of the credit needs to be given to the wonderful and hardworking parents, and some of the credit falls on our dedicated and talented staff, I have come to understand that this organization, the Future Farmers of America, also plays a role in helping our youth develop into respectable individuals of tremendous quality.

The entire organization is about Blue Jackets and Gold Standards, and it was obvious to me that the FFA does a tremendous job of instilling true blue values and solid gold ethics. All the trips, all the competitions, all the pomp and ceremony, it all adds up to an amazing curriculum in character education. And through all the lessons, these kids have learned how to conduct themselves with grace, dignity, and honor.

In this year of firsts, I am proud to say that our Hill City FFA is a first-class organization, and that for our future farmers, the future is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment