My Favorite Year (12-31-07)

Now that my mother has moved into a retirement community and our family house is gone, my family and I began a new tradition by staying with my sister and her family during part of our Christmas vacation.

One of the highlights of the trip was watching a video recording of my nephew Anthony starring in his high school production of My Favorite Year. Other than the surreal experience of watching someone I remember being born performing in a high school production (my how the years sneak up on us!), I was duly impressed with his talent and dedication to the project.

The play is about a year in the life of a young writer. It chronicles his adventures, his setbacks, and his triumphs. The play has a happy ending, thus explaining why it was the character’s “favorite year.”

Well, I can relate. As a young father, husband, teacher, administrator, and writer, I have to say that 2007 stands as my favorite year. Let’s review.

The year began with a historic ice storm. While this event caused many difficulties, it also brought our beloved Northwest Kansas into the national spotlight, and brought to light the generosity and resilience of the hardy souls we call friends and neighbors.

Then in February, my family was blessed with the birth of our fourth child, Natalie Renee. From the moment she first came forth into the world, this little girl has captured the hearts of everyone around her. Now at almost eleven months of age, she has grown into an incredibly good natured and social tot. My wife and I attribute this sweet nature to the fact that everywhere we go, people practically line up to hold her. She has been passed around more than a holiday fruitcake, and has absolutely blossomed with all the of the attention.

In May, our area was struck with another historic storm, resulting in the devastation of Greensburg. Again, our half of the state was thrust onto the national stage, and even the president himself paid us a visit. Again, this disaster highlighted the generosity and resilience of the good people who have made their homes in rural America. The buildings may been destroyed, but we learned that it takes more than that to destroy a town.

In June, Mike Young was blessed to find a job closer to his wife and children, leaving the principal position open at the elementary and middle school. After much thought and reflection, I decided to trade one fantastic staff for another and made the move to be with my own children as their principal. I admit, I had little experience at the K-6 level, so it was an incredible opportunity to learn and work in an entirely different situation.

Thus far, it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only do I get to see Lacy, Nathan, and Jocelyn everyday, but I have been overwhelmed by the kind words, actions, and gifts given to me at HCGS and LMS. From my first moment, everyone has gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and appreciated. I cannot thank everyone enough for helping make my 2007 my favorite year.

The year ended with our trip to Kansas City, enjoying the marvelous hospitality of my sister and her lovely family. While 2007 brought the end to the house we called home for thirty-one years, I have come to learn that home is anywhere that your family is welcomed and loved.

Unfortunately, not everything in 2007 was wonderful. After only a month in her new community, my mother is now in the hospital trying to recover from pneumonia. To see her in the ICU was a shock (the last time my mother was in the hospital was when she had me!) but her illness has brought my sisters and I closer together ever before.

I don’t often like to look back. However, I felt 2007 deserved a hardy round of applause. Thank you to everyone at the schools, the district, and town, as well as to my family, for helping to make 2007 such a memorable time.

What will 2008 bring? I am confident that it will bring a full recovery for my mom, and I hope that the New Year brings abundant blessing for everyone.

Regardless, I know that with family, friends, and community behind me, I have every reason to believe that 2008 will become my next favorite year.

No comments:

Post a Comment